Highlights Last Updated: 26 May 2023
- The war in Ukraine has further escalated in 2023, with hostilities ravaging communities in the east and south and taking a heavy toll on civilians living close to the front line.
- Mine contamination is also creating tremendous challenges for civilians trying, for example, to get back to their farms, and humanitarians striving to deliver assistance.
- Despite tremendous challenges, humanitarian organizations in Ukraine continue to reach more people every month. By the end of April, 5.4 million had received aid.
- This was possible thanks to the efforts of hundreds of aid organizations, local groups and volunteers who play a vital role in getting assistance for those who need it the most.
- Insecurity and access challenges continued, however, to hamper assistance in areas under Russian military control. Funding also remained low, adding to the challenges.